A day in the life and home of a child in an informal settlement

My Name is Riley. I am six years old and I live in an informal settlement. I was lying in my bed one night doing my homework.I was working with my flashlight but then the batteries ran out.I went outside and I sat under a lamppost until I finished then I went back home. So I wish I had electricity so I can work and not go outside and get cold just to get some light. My mom has HIV so every morning I use to wake up at 4am to go wait in a line to get water for my family. Then when I get back we wash ourself before I go to school and my mom and dad goes to work. So I wish my family and I had running water so I don’t have to get up so early. And I get some more sleep.


When I want to go to the bathroom I sometimes rather just hold it because when I am on the toilet people walk past and look at me. I wish there were toilets that had doors so I can have some privacy when I use the bathroom. I walked to school and I didn’t have shoes.  It was a far distance because I had to walk over hills and there were hard rocks and sharp rocks everywhere. I really wanted shoes or a car that my mom and dad could drive me to school and I don’t have to get cold and my feet don’t freeze and get sore.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Singing Inspector

My Injury